Most of you have heard the standard facts about global warming – that the U.S. and China are the world’s biggest emitters of carbon dioxide, the Earth’s surface temperature has increased more than a degree in the past 100 years, and that levels of CO2 could reach the point of permanently altering your world.
But global warming is far more complicated and scary than many people think. Here are some true facts about global warming that will intrigue and amaze you and help you see the real issues we will soon be dealing with.
Interesting Facts About
- Your food is harmed and made more expensive by earlier thaws and later freezes. Thaw and freeze dates are occurring a week earlier and later than they did 150 years ago. This affects our society’s agriculture by potentially damaging the food supply, making crops pricier, and even making global warming worse.
- The U.S. will turn into a dustbowl as the agricultural belt moves northward into Canada. Global warming is happening faster at northern latitudes, so these areas will have longer growing seasons in the future as places like the American Midwest become too hot and dry to grow as many crops.
- Catastrophic hurricanes are more likely to hit your home. Between 1970 and 2004, the number of category 4 and 5 hurricanes worldwide has nearly doubled. In the 2000s, there were as many dangerous category 5 hurricanes as the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s combined.
- You will suffer from a longer, more intense allergy season than before. Research has shown that the higher carbon dioxide levels in the air, plus the warmer temperatures, force plants to bloom earlier and produce more pollen.
- You may not have enough water to drink. In the western U.S., mountain snowpacks provide up to 75% of the water supply. Huge cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Denver totally depend on this snow, and as global warming gets worse, the existing snow will melt and less new snow will be falling.
- Deadly smallpox could re-emerge as permafrost melts. This layer of permanently frozen soil beneath the ground’s surface is thawing. Not only could this destroy buildings and railroad tracks, but as the ground thaws, corpses buried long ago could get discovered and end up infecting you with a devastating disease.
What Can You Do To
Prevent These Outcomes?
These interesting facts about global warming are scary, but you still have time to prevent the worst from happening and change the outcome of our world. Raising awareness about global warming is necessary to have people join in a worldwide, grassroots effort to combat climate change.
Your actions matter. Find out how you can make a difference in the fight against global warming.
 Warming Trend Seen In Late Freeze, Early Thaw
Author: Brown, Nathan. A Cooler Climate, 2008.